T O P
autotldr

This is the best tl;dr I could make, [original](https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-celebs-from-showing-off-wealth-on-social-media-2021-11) reduced by 79%. (I'm a bot) ***** > Celebrities in China can no longer "Show off wealth" or "Extravagant pleasure" on social media, The Cyberspace Administration of China announced Tuesday. > In August, China's state-run entertainment regulator deleted Zhao Wei, one of the country's most popular actresses, from all social media and streaming platforms. > To enforce the new rules, Chinese social networks must monitor and report "Suspected illegal and criminal acts of exposed stars, and group conflicts involving fans" to the authorities while moderating content that may prompt social disorder, according to the notice. ***** [**Extended Summary**](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/r0lt4g/china_bans_celebrities_from_showing_off_wealth/) | [FAQ](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/31b9fm/faq_autotldr_bot/ "Version 2.02, ~609243 tl;drs so far.") | [Feedback](http://np.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%23autotldr "PM's and comments are monitored, constructive feedback is welcome.") | *Top* *keywords*: **China**^#1 **social**^#2 **fan**^#3 **celebrity**^#4 **group**^#5


Little_Custard_8275

we complain about reddit mods but imagine if your life depended on it


egordoniv

Even China recognizes life is better without the Kardashians.


RaveGuncle

If I had gold, I'd give it to you but I can't be showing off that wealth on social media.


[deleted]

[удалено]


Ray3x10e8

-1500 social credit


death_to_my_liver

I will never socially recover from this


Suspicious_Row5565

It's the fear of celebrities spreading enjoyment that makes people not like work but enjoy


skolioban

I'm not sure celebs showing off their private jets and Lambos as "spreading enjoyment".


textmint

Well that’s what’s happening in the US. Enamored with celebrity culture. People thinking they’ll become millionaires and billionaires without putting in the work. I am no fan of the Chinese government or China but I think we need to look at them and arrest the influence of social media in our own country. Maybe we need to step back and take a look at where it is taking us and make the necessary changes.


Delicious-Ad5161

I’m fairly certain the logic is that watching people have things you can never achieve creates unrest because people who may otherwise be happy are exposed to comparisons that show them they’re not as well off as they feel. It’s a legitimate concern but this is definitely too harsh of a way to go about tackling that issue in my opinion.


ZiggyZee

Spreading enjoyment? That’s all that brain rot in there from ig fb and TikTok.


TheBurrfoot

Yes, because watching celebrities have what we don't is enjoyable. 🙄


SuddenClearing

They didn’t say anything about *having* extravagant wealth. They just have to hide it from the mudpeople, or they might start getting ideas. Edit: this post blew up! Someone got so mad they reported me and I got banned! I would love more people to tell me if I’m wrong or right :) I even pasted links!


raya__85

They don’t want people to think they can get wealthy, that’s a fools errand


bunnyQatar

Yet here in America we have a nation of aspirational millionaires who will never be rich and won’t tax the wealthy because “one day it can be me”. Meanwhile the entire country is falling apart and China is surpassing the US in every way.


2fhqwhgads1cup

This is the way


Dannyg1168

Life was better before social media exploded


theother_eriatarka

and they're right, our culture definitely has a problem with celebrity worship and over the top conusmeristic approach to life, maybe we shbould stop idolizing being super rich


bunnyQatar

People really think they’re all gonna be wealthy one day. And vote against their best interests because of it. America is fucked up.


bleunt

90% of the time I hear about them it's when people who don't like them talk about them.


gingeracha

God the mindless Reddit hate for them gets old, as if there aren't much more extreme examples.


DefiantLemur

I mean can we really be surprised when the communist government actually tries to enforce communist ideals? It's like a r/LeopardsAteMyFace situation.


A_wild_so-and-so

The interesting part to me is that they specified celebrities. Does that exempt the oligarchs and Uber rich party officials?


diosexual

Uber rich party officials absolutely do not display their wealth or they could be made an example of by up to execution on corruption charges.


SFTechFIRE

Like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ling_Jihua#Son's_Ferrari_crash


LukariBRo

Just like in the US. The few billionaires on everyone's lips make more money because of their notoriety. The vast majority stay properly hidden from the masses, guarded by private militaries on well designed compounds, so that angry mobs can't pull them out to the guillotines.


TheLonePotato

Where are all these mobs with guillotines? Look dude, I grew up around some of these ultra wealthy 0.001% folks and there's no private militaries or bunkers, just extra fancy houses that have a good police response time.


ThewFflegyy

as a wise man once said "the Hamptons are a low lying area".


DygonZ

Sun Tzu


[deleted]

I guess I'm dumb but what does this mean?


ThewFflegyy

its a comment about them being a strategically hard to defend place full of our countries wealthiest pieces of shit.


WillyTheHatefulGoat

Sometimes you spend so much time on reddit you forget that killing billionaires is still a crime and they can just call the police to arrest you.


Sex4Vespene

It doesn’t really matter if it’s a crime. If we as a society hit the point that we are executing the ultra rich, I doubt the police force would exist in the capacity it does today.


target_meet_arrow

Depends on who. There are people that a lot of competent people would like to harm. They often travel the way the president would if the position wasn't public. I doubt that oxycontin family is allowing ADT to handle their safety. And I've known a few guys that have done armed details on big yachts. Full kit, full auto, NVGs, I can't remember if they said they had rpgs or the pirates might have had RPGs. People didn't want to wait for whatever naval force in the area that might respond. Big money living in or traveling in less secure countries 100% do. Or they use the cops. And personal armed security services are a thing in every state. Poor and middle class people aren't their target demo.


rageking5

Maybe not billionaires you were around. Worked with a guy who did private security for a billionaire before. Everytime he was on his yacht, they would have two teams armed in rafts follow it.


KimboBaer

I guess it depends on who and how many whos wants your head.


TheLonePotato

Yep, most armed guy I knew was rumored to have connections to the cartel. He always had a plethora of ex-special forces dude alway hanging around his house, but it was no army and he usually had them doing coke with him. Forgot about that guy, probably because I met him through a mutual acquaintance during college and not going up.


tantalis77

or to make people think this


CurriedSquid

I mean the line is blurred A reality tv show featuring a nouveau riche family was banned after footage of their spoiled brat kids aired and triggered the fuck out of everybody, as spoiled brat kids do


jambox888

Bingo. Keep your head down (or amass political power) and you're gravy.


[deleted]

[удалено]


LostOne716

Some dude got nailed cause he had a Ferrari a long time ago. RL hasn't been safe from the anti-envy laws for awhile


NateNate60

I think it's important to get this out there: _most Government officials_ in China are corrupt. Officials in China have been corrupt from Qin to Qing and from ROC to PRC. In fact, the Chinese idea of a folk tale is that an official who is merely _competent_ at his job and not corrupt. The thing is selective prosecutions. The Government doesn't bring charges against anyone; only those where the benefits of disposing of them outweigh the drawbacks. But once charged, a conviction is guaranteed, not even because the system is rigged (although it is), but because the accused is almost always actually guilty.


pihkaltih

In fairness, I think this is legitimately the case with Western politics as well. Most politicians are corrupt, and when you see corruption scandals like the one you are seeing in the UK now, it's often part of a clearly factional power move. (There is clearly a civil war in the Tories right now and everyone is leaking and briefing against eachother)


ThrowAwaybcUsuck

Well, show me where the uber rich party officials have instagram accounts with millions of followers showing them flexing a diamond covered lambo with a snow leopard in the front seat.


zombiesingularity

> Does that exempt the oligarchs and Uber rich party officials? Have you been paying attention to the news? The wealthiest men in China have been punished for their behavior as well. And Party officials are held to a much higher standard than non-Party members.


Cantrmbrmyoldpass

The wealthiest men in China have been punished when they went against the party or Xi Jinping, those are the real reasons. And the standards are mostly appearance based


Brittainicus

Its not even the party its just be threat to current faction in power. So if you support faction A and its in power but faction B comes into power you will likely be purged. So you need to do everything to make sure your faction says in power otherwise you run the risk of being purged, which often involves purging other factions.


pj1843

Or amassed enough wealth to be a threat to ping


geft

Off topic but his name is Jinping and his surname is Xi, so calling him Ping is like calling Elon Lon.


CurriedSquid

This is something you people seem to have not learned from history Anybody, and I mean anybody, with great wealth, inevitably becomes a threat to any government


[deleted]

[удалено]


micro102

This doesn't seem like enforcing communist ideals. This is basically going "hey, stop showing all the wealth inequality.". If they were actually enforcing communist ideals, there would be no need to order people to hide their wealth.


Bebop24trigun

China only cares about perceived image. They don't care about how things are actually happening, just what it looks like on the outside. They don't truly care about communist ideals, they care about people embarrassing the nation.


JimWilliams423

> They don't truly care about communist ideals, If you include Hong Kong, they have more billionaires than any other country. The US slipped to #2 since covid hit. China hasn't been communist in a very long time. With the oppression of the Uighurs and Tibetans, one party system, and the state control of privately owned corporations, it seems like they are a lot closer to fascism than communism.


Enunimes

Kind of since they're not actually enforcing those ideals, just making it less easy for everyone else to notice how pointless they are. They aren't telling the rich to hand over their assets to be redistributed amongst the people, just to enjoy their opulence without taking as many selfies while they do it.


Ompius

I don’t think forcing celebrities into not showing off their wealth, on social media, is a communist ideal. Pretty sure this is just saying, don’t let the poor people see how much money you have or they will start asking questions. Which again, not a communist ideal. This is a bunch of powerful dickheads doing what powerful dickheads do, trying to stay powerful dickheads by keeping the people uneducated and complacent. Again, not a communist ideal.


[deleted]

>This is a bunch of powerful dickheads doing what powerful dickheads do, trying to stay powerful dickheads by keeping the people uneducated and complacent. Again, not a communist ideal. What a totally unexpected outcome of a totalitarian central power government


NecessaryRhubarb

I mean I’d say the Chinese Communist Party is neither communist nor socialist, they are a dictatorship/authoritarian regime, so…


marcusbrichards

They’re also capitalist. The CCP has sold out the Chinese people to western corporations for a profit for decades. It’s the same reason they keep the Yuan depressed- to entice corporate investment. Anyone who thinks a Chinese peasant has the same rights as a CCP official is delusional.


WTHisanacronym

Thats one thing thats been a constant throughout time and all societies. You'll never be as equal as the people with the gold and/or power


netpenthe

Isn't part of Marxist philosophy that capitalism is a stage through which u go through to get to socialism


shadowbannednumber

Yes, capitalism was a necessary step in creating a commodity surplus and tools of industrialization.


polovstiandances

Too many people in this thread are more anti China than they are anti capitalism. Finger pointing....


dancode

Right. It's just authoritarians hiding behind "socialist" values (just like the Soviet Union). This has nothing to do with socialism except for wanting to surround the demands with some kind of halo of idealism.


lemon_tea

China is communist like North Korea is democratic. They're a fascist state with a capitalist frosting.


dmullaney

Maybe in a communist nation, that treasures core socialist values, there shouldn't be super rich celebrities...


Spartanfred104

Facts. Although, even socialist and communist countries need bread and circuses.


ValkyriesOnStation

China might be communist in the way the government controls all the property and companies... but they have a very capitalist economy.


Finn_3000

Then its not communist, its authoritarian. Communism and socialism are economic systems.


oby100

China is communist in name only. It's better than lots of communist countries in that they seem to actually have "a party" ruling rather than a true dictator, but they simply do not hold any of the values of communism. This isn't the classic meme "well, no one has ever actually tried real communism" either. They act just like any capitalist country, except the government MIGHT seize all your assets and socialize your company/ industry. Its just straight authoritarian.


Aggravating_Elk_1234

Socialist in name only... SINO... I think you might be on to something!!!!!!


disillusioned

This feels too clever for Reddit...


thanksforhelpwithpc

Battle of the bots ?


fireinthesky7

This is one of the more clever geopolitical jokes I've ever read.


RandomCumTwat69

Lmao GOTEM


The_Condominator

State Capitalism Internally it's free market, but if you get big enough to deal internationally, the State wants a cut (and to help)


ThatOneGuy1294

China is communist in the same way that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a democracy.


KillerKian

Check out [this reddit user's compelling case that they're actually a successful fascist state](https://www.reddit.com/r/geopolitics/comments/o9jp9q/is_current_china_an_example_of_a_successful/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share)


LordDongler

Wait, that wasn't obvious to everyone?


Iamtheonewhobawks

Nobody has any illusions about the Chinese government being authoritarian, but fascism isn't interchangeable with authoritarianism. It's a rectangle square situation. Most non-Chinese people don't have any reason to know the specifics of how the CCP does things so aside from hyperbolic use of fascism as a general insult yeah; most folks probably don't realize that China ticks a lot of the fascism boxes.


gelinrefira

Most Chinese don't care as long as the system work as intended and it delivers prosperity, food on the table, roof over the heads, kids going to school, a job to do, and money for retirement. Can you really blame them? For that matter, most Americans don't give a shit about the rampant corruption and plutocratic control in our government, the incessant fascist-lite propaganda and how one party tried to destroy democracy just months ago.


bored_on_the_web

> and how one party tried to destroy democracy just months ago. ...as if that was a one-time thing that's over and done with now.


raptorgalaxy

Even according to the CIA the CCP is incredibly popular in China. Perhaps despite the oppression (which they have no illusions about) they want the oppressive government.


thestoneswerestoned

Fascism isn't just Nazism, that's just a subset specific to Germany. It doesn't even necessarily need to be racial in nature either, as was the case with the early fascist movements in Italy. Modern China is definitely far closer to that than a Communist state in transition.


zyzzogeton

What's less obvious is that strong fascist states *might* win because all that inefficient stuff that plagued early attempts at centralized planning could be largely eliminated by instant communications, better processing capacity, and AI. (If Yuval Harari is right) There is nothing preventing a better system outpacing "Democracies" with strong emphases on human rights and individual freedom. It just happens that democratic ideals have beaten all challengers so far, with a few big races still in progress.


incidencematrix

> What's less obvious is that strong fascist states might win because all that inefficient stuff that plagued early attempts at centralized planning could be largely eliminated by instant communications, better processing capacity, and AI. Nah. Even if you can solve the calculation problem (which is dubious, AI or no AI), you still have to solve (1) the measurement problems needed to set shadow prices, and (2) the ole' fashioned problems of corruption and malfeasance within the state itself. Without some sort of market-like mechanism, the former is extremely difficult, and the latter is of course no better solved today than in ancient times. Command economies today are going to have the same problems they had yesterday; alas, it may be needed to learn those lessons over again....


owen__wilsons__nose

by design, fascist systems don't end up ever big on human rights and freedoms. What are you talking about?


rickyharline

That's what he said in the post you're replying to. >There is nothing preventing a better system outpacing "Democracies" with strong emphases on human rights and individual freedom. It just happens that democratic ideals have beaten all challengers so far, with a few big races still in progress. They state right here democracies respect human rights far better than fascist regimes. You're in violent agreement with them.


Kenny_McCormick001

Fascism has always been efficient, because only one opinion matters. The efficiency is both it’s blessing and curse. Both good and bad ideas are implemented with the same speed. Democracy “wins” because it’s slow, deliberating, and allow for course change when enough pple agree they’re heading down the wrong path.


Vervy

> they seem to actually have "a party" ruling rather than a true dictator You mean, other than the current dictator-for-life who changed the constitution and threatened to kill anyone opposing him to make himself dictator-for-life?


shadow1515

He's not there without a wide base of support (among powerful people), otherwise he'd find himself dead.


Schlomo_

That is true of any dictator


Vettel_2002

Yeah what the fuck. No dictator is in power without a massive support net underneath them


marcusbrichards

So’s Putin.


CptnLarsMcGillicutty

Like who? Genuine question. In an oligarchy for example a dictator presumably needs to have the support of the oligarchs. But if a Chinese dictator can just seize the assets of the oligarchs on a whim, imprison and even execute the entire billionaire class (Jack Ma for example), AND they are a non-democratic one-party State with no elections, then individual wealth has basically no political value. So high-level CCP people are who I assume support Xi. But if any of them spoke out I assume they would probably get disappeared. I guess my question is: what would him losing support look like?


bino420

>what would him losing support look like? I'm no polisci grad but I'd assume the only way to arrest power from Xi would be a coup. Like you say, any attempt to speak out would be a one-way ticket to a camp.


6896e2a7-d5a8-4032

i still dont know why the reddit china understanders dont know that china as is now does not see itself as a communist country/society; instead it sees itself as a socialist country/society, and claims that marxism/communism as its ideals (with modifications to its local conditions).


ThePotatoeMenace

You’re surprised ignorance spreads easily on social media?


DogadonsLavapool

Well, they are trying to develop in line with historical materialism, where developments under industrialization are supposed to turn into communism. But people don't understand communism to begin with, let alone different schools of thought and theory in it. I personally think it's a bunch of bullshit, but it's an interesting philosophy in ways, especially if they try to actually implement it like they seem to actually plan on. Big if lol


0b0011

I mean they're explicitly not communist for exactly the reason you give. By just the definition of what communism is you can never have a communist country.


HadMatter217

China isn't communist at all. Communism, is, by definition, stateless. China calls what it has socialism, not communism. The party in charge is the communist party of China, because they claim to be working towards communism eventually. I'm a bit skeptical of that myself, but that's the stated goal.


CallmeMeh

more like capitalism funded authoritarianism


anothertrad

It’s very good to keep loyalty per turn in their cities


Methany878

... or ruling party members


JosebaZilarte

True, but communism is an economic ideology, first and foremost. The political structure can vary (as long as the members of the government have, more or less, the same rights than everyone else).


Methany878

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking about *super rich* ruling party members.


CouncilmanRickPrime

It's almost as if the communist party isn't communist after all, just authoritarians larping.


BelAirGhetto

In the United States, the amount of the country’s wealth held by the top 10 percent of households grew from 67 percent in 2000 to 71 percent in 2019, while the bottom 50 percent of wealth owners’ share dropped from 1.8 percent in 2000 to 1.5 percent in 2019. In China, the top 10 percent of households owned 48 percent of the nation’s wealth in 2000, and by 2015, those households owned 67 percent. The bottom 50 percent of Chinese households owned 14 percent of wealth in 2000 and 6 percent in 2015.


2rfv

Where could I find statistics like these?


BelAirGhetto

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/financial-services/our-insights/the-rise-and-rise-of-the-global-balance-sheet-how-productively-are-we-using-our-wealth


Calimariae

You're not wrong, but this irony here is the communist inequality. Not which country is more shit.


CromulentInPDX

It's almost like their economy might not be communist.


redhighways

B-but if we can’t call them commies, and are forced to admit it’s just another oligarchy, how will we continue to indoctrinate our children to the dangers of health care, free education and market regulation?


[deleted]

[удалено]


whichwitch9

Yeah, well that's cause China isn't really socialist.... There's been a clear divide in power since Mao. They just used communism as an excuse to gain political power


dubblies

Are you complaining or realizing the issue with calling them communist?


juneburger

Yes


SloppyMeathole

If this was really about socialist values they wouldn't let them accumulate that much wealth. This is about the government feeling threatened by private citizens becoming potentially more influential than they are. This is about power and control and the communist party reasserting its dominance over society. The Communist party isn't going to have society dictated by celebrities.


bearsaysbueno

It's not just that their influence would disrupt the social order, because I doubt many of them would go against the CCP, it's also that celebrities flaunting their wealth highlights the wealth disparity that's only getting worse in China. A huge chunk of CCP's legitimacy comes from Chinese citizens feeling like their lives are improving and over the past few decades, the overall improvements in standard of living have been nothing short of incredible. Now that much of China is urbanized, that growth is slowing for those citizens. That's dangerous especially in the big cities which have insanely high housing prices, part of which is based on the assumption that wages will keep increasing, but wage growth is slowing down. So celebrities flaunting wealth while the average worker struggles to afford housing can easily spark a wildfire of discontent with the social and economic order.


Wide_Big_6969

Now they get to deal with the same problem as the US in terms of wealth inequality, just a couple of decades later. It's probably not going to be good for their government and current status quo. I just hope it gets better for the Chinese people, and the same to the US.


botglm

And that’s why they are working hard to cover it up, per the article.


raziel1012

It is also the time where Xi is gearing up to change governing rules and either rule a third term or indefinitely. So they crack down on a lot of stuff like wealth display, male singer groups who are "too feminine", private education, having a historical view not agreeing with the party, eating too much on media etc.


TheCrippledKing

Xi is already President for Life. He changed those rules a few years ago.


pihkaltih

That's for a ceremonial position that doesn't actually really do anything. Similar to say a Governor-General or the Queen. The actual positions of power is the General Secretary of the Communist Party, and the Politburo. (The Politburo as well should not be underestimated, they aren't shy about removing the GS when they have served their purpose or for a power play etc)


pilotblur

Tbh this is a big problem in the states now


Flocculencio

The difference (in very broad generalizations) is that the American core ideology is about rugged individualism whereas the Chinese model really is about the State providing social uplift. So a large chunk of the American working class can be placated by the theory that if you are poor you deserve it. While you're seeing pushback in the US against that, neither major American party derives *as much* legitimacy from the expectation of social uplift as the CCP does. Again this is a huge generalization.


Vettel_2002

To go with that generalization further. A lot of Americans' goals when entering the work force is to become super rich to have money for themselves. Not spread money around to the people around them in a way that makes them only kinda well off


Flocculencio

I mean this is the goal for many Chinese people too. The difference is that from their perspective the State is meant to help facilitate this much more than it's expected to from the American perspective. From the American perspective the underlying assumption is that if you're poorer than your parents, you have failed, from the Chinese perspective, you have failed and the State has failed you. Again these are very, very broad generalizations.


Senottaruhuno

> People voted to become worse off? Yes.


Turbulent_Cranberry6

Exacerbated a hundred fold in China by dense population, low resources per capita, and high competition.


kentcutter

This. As someone who lives in China, I can say this post deserves so much more upvotes than the one above it, which misses the point.


jimius

The CCP's greatest fear are the chinese people. The censorship, the concentration camps, the surveillance. It's all geared to keep the population in line. If you carry influence, the CCP will take control of it, voluntarily or not.


soupstock123

I don't like the CCP, but even I know that CCP is enjoying pretty high favorability amongst the Chinese people rn. They've lifted the most amount of people out of poverty in human history, and China is still growing. The concentration camps are bad, but its not widespread news, and most people are fine to turn a blind eye to it sort of like how first nations/African American issues are sort of ignored as long as the economy is going well.


kashuntr188

People on reddit just don't understand China, probably because they've never been to China. They just see what the news and other redditors write about China. They fail to realize that in the 80's China was fucking dirt poor and its average citizen was dirt fucking poor. Now in 2021, a normal average citizen can ride a high speed rail train to most places in China. (meanwhile in Canada, we don't even have a SINGLE high speed rail line). They've gone from a whole village sharing ONE SINGLE TV (it was like that in the late 80's when I visited my mom's village) to everybody having TVs and Cellphones of their own. You bet people would be willing to turn a blind eye to certain things. Just like in Canada how we've turned a blind eye to our first nations problem...and still do. Our "Truth and reconciliation" bullshit from like 10 years ago hasn't really brought any real change, the average Canadian doesn't care about it either. People don't understand how far China has advanced in the past 30-40 years, and they still thing all the jobs that the Chinese "stole" are coming back if we just boycott their shit. I'm not a big fan of the CCP and I hate that my dad watches so much of their TV, but people in the western countries gotta get real with it.


dadankeykang

You act like that's a bad thing. Every government should fear their people. In America their government fears the corporations.


wifebeatsme

The CCP doesn’t fear the people in the way of We must do right by them or we lose our job. The fear them because they want to stay rich and in control. Those big party boys are like kings.


Yoihoyo

>The fear them because they want to stay rich and in control. Those big party boys are like kings. What you think our politicians aren't partying with sleazy oligarch money?


ContributionFormer30

There is nothing in the above post that makes it look like they were “acting like that’s a bad thing” with respect to governments fearing people. Why do people jump to conclusions like this? It was simply an theory of why China is doing this, and probably a correct one at that. Because China fears it’s citizens. Simply saying that does not in any way mean I endorse China. People assume they intimately know a person based on a single comment without enough context.


theguccinator

This and they’re probably setting the groundwork to start taking away the wealth from these wealthy individuals. If no one can see their wealth they won’t know when it’s taken away.


Vineyard_

Side note that there's nothing in socialism that makes it illegal or immoral to accumulate wealth. What *is* immoral in the socialist view is to *take the wealth from the labor of others*. Becoming rich from your own work is A-OK. It's just that 90% of the time, it's impossible to generate that much value from your own work. Singers, artists, and athletes are pretty much the only type of work that can do it.


StamosLives

This 100%. It’s insane how many individuals fail to understand socialism. This thread alone is filled with it.


UpsetTerm

It's because the average redditor *wants* to believe socialism is Denmark.


cartoonist498

CCP leaders: Stop reminding our socialist population that their leaders are filthy rich.


ThisBastard

Meanwhile the property you invested in deflates another few percent.


drkgodess

There's speculation that austerity measures are incoming. If so, then you can't have the wealthy elites reminding the plebs of what they're missing.


Mygaffer

They can be rich and privileged, they just have to pretend they aren't.


IRedditbe4

China in a nutshell. All about appearances.


Dtoodlez

Like when they dubbed the girl’s voice who sang the national anthem at the olympics because the original singer wasn’t pretty enough. Insane.


Grainwheat

If I was a developer I’d just write a private app just for the wealthy to share with each other. Boom I’m rich too


hukep

I'm glad, they secretly can remain super wealthy - core socialist values.


nagonjin

"Please don't draw attention to income inequality..."


cultured_banana_slug

Rich Guy: "Welp, guess we're driving the Mercedes then. Ugh."


EaseSufficiently

It's going to be hilarious to have a super cheep outside of a car with billionaire insides worth even more than the regular billionaire cars.


originalcondition

I am mildly obsessed with the Aztecs/Central Mexican indigenous civilizations, and it’s interesting to me that they had similar laws about displaying wealth. If you were a merchant you were allowed to become rich, but you weren’t allowed to openly display or flaunt your wealth in the same way that the nobility was allowed to. No fancy jewelry or clothes made of really nice fabric, etc etc. Sumptuary laws are funny in that they give off the vibe of a ruling class trying to flex their power, but they come across as fearful when they reveal their need to openly flex that power. Anyway, tangential thoughts, just kind of interesting to see where sumptuary laws pop their heads up throughout history.


Lancashire_Toreador

Translation: "Y'all. You're making us look bad and the fucking poors are starting to wonder why billionaires exist in a "socialist" system. Cut that shit out"


Kage9866

Lmao this.


NormalComputer

Alright so I’m gonna enter an idea here into the void. Is it a reach to surmise that China’s leadership has evaluated World + Internet and decided that: * “Every single person on the planet…able to say every single thing and thought in their mind…at any time…ever…is a global & national disruption machine…” * “…Therefore, the best path forward at the current moment is to speak to the globe as One Single Unified China and slow everything the fuck down in our house…” * “By implementing systems, structures and brutalities to get every single person under our power to only funnel speech to the rest of the globe via our systemic and controlled channels.” Which has some pretty fucked up results, but viewed through the long lens of geopolitical power is worthy of *some* type of discussion. Or is China acting on some other strategy with their approach to stomping down speech that’s viewable on a scale of \*gestures to everything\*? Interested in some conversation and analysis if anyone reading this comment wants to chat it through.


oh_behind_you

it is definitely interesting. I do feel it is more about avoidance of hating the 0.1% that eventually happens when things go sour


SilasTalbot

Do you believe their strategy is so external focused? From what I know about China, the focus would be internal. Keeping calm waters is how they transition to the eventual ideal state. Means to an end.


theonlymexicanman

The good old Elon Musk, “I’m not your typical millionaire, I’m just like you” strategy


benweiser22

But he's right, he's not a millionaire like the rest of them...he's a billionaire


twentyfuckingletters

Fuck, he's not even a billionaire like the rest of the billionaires. He has THREE HUNDRED BILLION. He's 1/3 of the way to being a trillionaire.


Thrawn89

To put the unfathomable number into perspective, a trillionaire is a millionaire of millionaires.


m0nk_3y_gw

> He's 1/3 of the way to being a trillionaire. So just 2-3 more years then....


notabillionaire__yet

3/10th. Stop exaggerating!!


twentyfuckingletters

You got me. But remember when Dairy Queen released a 1/3 pound burger and people didn't eat it because they thought it was less meat than a quarter pounder? I was fudged it to 1/3 to, uh... simplify. >.>


t0ytimes

That’s not counting what he owns in crypto…so think T-rillionair.


pilotblur

5 more pump and dumps


toilet_fingers

I, too, have $50k hair implants.


WiTooSlowFi

Bro are hair implants really 50K?


12345432112

No they're 10k about 10k in the US and I think 2-5k in Turkey where people often go for similar quality.


hbkmog

It probably doesn't even cost 10k in the US depending on how many grafts you get. Also not only Turkey, many countries have affordable hair transplant procedures, especially in Asia.


PaulR504

lol hey guys stop letting the poors know how busted this system is over here. We need to pretend our brand of capitalism is better thsn the Americans.


RipNRep

-500 social credit score


DAYTOOKERJARBS

Shit let me fix that. Nothing occurred on June 4, 1989


H4xolotl

Double social credit gain for next 24 hours


SaucyChicken

Bing chilling


mrshawn081982

I'm gonna fucking die laughing if they do some COD-style extra XP weekends.


WantedToLurk

But they still have the money…


Nick18000

In China it’s all about keeping „Face“. It doesn’t matter that there is income inequality as long as it is not visible to the common people.


PandaCheese2016

If you can read Chinese the actual announcement covers a lot more than flaunting wealth. Basically it’s an attempt to control the culture of celebrity worship, because the party fears that it negatively impacts social stability and thus its rule. These blunt large scale social engineering efforts are nothing new of course, though the practical results achieved is always debatable because people are people. When Kris Wu was arrested for sexually exploiting female fans (or as political scapegoat depending on who’s reporting it) there were zealous fans who refused to believe the accusations or attacked the alleged victims. Pretty similar to how the metoo movement played out in the West.


DieMineta

Psssh celebrity worship worked out great for the US! Wait, we’re still doing great right?


StripEnchantment

>Escape goat Is that like an escape room with goats?


PandaCheese2016

That’s more fun than scapegoat for sure.


Rorcanna

I wish more Western channels would pick up on this... ALL the shows about Housewives can go the way of the dodo...


agnonamis

In fairness people flaunting wealth etc on social media is one of the worlds biggest issues imo— social media in general is a massive cancer.


Sweet-Zookeepergame7

Can I just say to totally deviate from the point at hand… As someone who is wealthy, From humble beginnings, I’ve always been told it is trashy and classless to display or flaunt wealth, I don’t think it’s good and it’s in bad taste..


PillarsOfHeaven

The common message of "dont create unrest" from rich elites to the rich elite children


wind_and_petrichor

Reddit very confused


superdatstub

You know what, I’m fine with this. Celebrity worship culture has gotten way out of hand. Oh and fuck the Kardashians and Kanye.


highwayrobberyman

American here. Is it bad that my first thought was “good”?


Apps3452

The comment section here is ridiculous


hjadams123

Aawww man! What fun is being rich when you can’t show everyone how rich you are? Total buzzkill CCP…


twalkerp

Hm. What if they are actually broke but pretending to rich like many influencers.


Drumboy168

Wonder what people in the middle class of China feel in relation to this?


PandaCheese2016

Mostly nothing. Sure it’s going to generate some debate online but majority will focus on the “positives” of tamping down on celebrity worship over the negative of more government control on speech. Prevailing cultural attitude is just different over there. Average Chinese tends to be apolitical unless something impacts their personal lives directly: https://ash.harvard.edu/files/ash/files/final_policy_brief_7.6.2020.pdf


TypeHeauxNegative

This is a very misleading and sensationalized headline on a website of people known for forming internalized options based on a sentence.